13 do’s and don’t of bike riding. Common sense really.
- Don’t ride your bike while listening to your music. You can’t hear traffic.
- Don’t try to “beat the vehicle”. It can only be tragic if you don’t beat it.
- Do wear a proper fitting helmet.
- Do ride on the street with traffic.
- If you must ride on the sidewalk, Do be vigilant of cars and driveways.
- Don’t weave in and out. Stay in a consistent line.
- If you ride on public trails, Do be mindful of other trail users. Walkers, other bikers, skateboarders etc
- Do be visible to motorists.
- Do follow the rules of the road. I have stopped for school buses twice in the past because as a bicyclist, I have to follow the rules of the road.
- Don’t wear baggy pants. They can get caught in the gears
- Do make sure to ride a bike that’s your size.
- Do know your biking limitations.
- Do have fun!